[mythtv] "Extra Audio Buffering" setting

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Nov 12 04:55:27 UTC 2017

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 22:36:33 -0500, you wrote:

>On 11/11/2017 08:14 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> When playing downloaded video files, be aware that there is a nasty
>> bug in one of the most commonly used programs used to make these
>> files, Adobe Premiere.  Whenever it creates slow motion in its files,
>> the audio/video interleaving seems to be disabled, at least for the
>> slow motion section.  So you get all the video frames followed by all
>> the audio frames, with no interleaving.  If the slow motion section is
>> small enough, the playback program's buffering can cope with this, but
>> MythTV seems to have a smaller buffer size than most Windows player
>> programs, and that means it will fail to play back these files when
>> the Windows software is OK.  This causes MythTV to be blamed for the
>> problem, rather than Adobe.  I have tried to convince the owner of one
>> web site that I subscribe to that it is an Adobe bug he should report
>> to them and get fixed, but as he did not have sufficient technical
>> knowledge I was unable to convince him and he just told me to use a
>> better program to play the files.  My solution is to run his files
>> through ffmpeg with the right options to get them re-interleaved
>> correctly.  But it would be good to work out what sort of buffer sizes
>> are commonly used in other software and make MythTV use at least that
>> much buffer, so it does not get blamed for problems like this.
>
>What is the visible effect of this in MythTV? When you say it fails to
>play does that mean it completely fails or is it out of sync or uneven?
>Can you provide an example or point me to one?
>
>Peter

It plays but pauses all the time in order to buffer more data.  And
when the interleave gets too extreme, I think it just stops playing at
that point.  Unfortunately, the examples I have are all copyright
downloads, so I can not share them.  But if anyone has a copy of Adobe
Premiere, it should be easy to create one - just use the slow motion
option for part of the video.