[mythtv] Mythtv pes_malloc and pes_free

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon May 8 01:46:03 UTC 2017

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Roger James
<roger at beardandsandals.co.uk> wrote:
> The topic is open to debate!

Are there platform implications/idiosyncrasies?

While many platforms have reviewed and
updated their various malloc implementations
over the years [certainly glibc has] (and if
anyone asked me, I would suggest the project
should use them where they are good, or at
least good enough), I would not be at all
surprised if Windows (for example) was special
(but I have near zero knowledge of the
Windows implementation of malloc).  You may
need platform SMEs to chime in.

I am not sure Daniel K (who wrote the allocator
for performance reasons) is still on the dev list,
so it might be worth trying to send email directly
to ask his opinion explicitly.

btw, while LD_PRELOAD is often considered
evil, if one moves to using malloc, using it to pull
in tcmalloc on specific under-performant systems
may be viable without requiring recompilation,
or requiring distros to build that way (and avoids
the problems with trying to use valgrind when
needed (and avoiding the tcmalloc heapchecker)).

See, no debate, just additional suggestions
for you to do more research.  What could possibly
go wrong?  And that is why no one asks me.