[mythtv] Proposed change to Network Communications

Andre Newman MythTV dev mythtv-dev at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Mar 13 14:43:17 UTC 2017

> On 13 Mar 2017, at 00:05, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
> Peter Bennett <pgbennett at comcast.net> writes:
>
>> On 03/10/2017 10:40 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>> OUCH!   NO...
>>>
>>> Some of us actually have public IP addresses on our network!!
>>>
>>> -derek
>> Hi Derek
>>
>> Maybe I misunderstood you. Are you saying that you need MythTV to have
>> access from a public IP address? Should it be restricted in any way?
>
> You're not misunderstanding.  Half my network is "public IP space"
> (including my MythTV box!).  If myth, by default, blocked public IPs
> that would be, IMHO, a VERY BAD THING.

Same situation here, I have MythTV on /28, /25 & /29 public IP subnets in a few places, a hard coded “don’t listen on non rfc 1918 addresses” would be very bad.

Yes they are firewalled, yes they do use real public IP addresses, yes it needs to be done that way, yes I’d like to be able to continue to use MythTV, please :-)

Thanks

Andre