[mythtv] Proposed change to Network Communications

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Mon Mar 13 14:33:42 UTC 2017

On 03/12/2017 08:08 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Stuart Auchterlonie <stuarta at squashedfrog.net> writes:
>
>> On 10/03/17 15:40, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>> OUCH!   NO...
>>>
>>> Some of us actually have public IP addresses on our network!!
>>>
>> So the same applies to ipv4 as it does to ipv6.
>>
>> Accept connections from subnets the backend has interfaces in.
> Generally I think that would work..  Although in my case I have both a
> public net (an historic class-C) as well as an RFC-1918 network, plus
> several IPv6 networks.  Not all hosts are all actually on all networks,
> but I do want access from hosts on all of them.

The default settings will listen on all ip addresses and only accept
connections from a subnet that you are on. You will be able to select
checkboxes to
1. Listen on all ip addresses vs restrict listening to one ipv6 and one
ipv4 address as at present
2. Allow traffic from all subnets as at present vs restrict to subnets
that you have.

To get the current behavior, just uncheck 1 and check 2.

You will be able to use a DNS name or host name in the "IP Address of
master backend", so you can take advantage of all of the ip addresses on
your backend if you have DNS capability.

Peter