[mythtv] Proposed change to Network Communications

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Mar 12 23:05:40 UTC 2017

Peter Bennett <pgbennett at comcast.net> writes:

> On 03/10/2017 10:40 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> OUCH!   NO...
>>
>> Some of us actually have public IP addresses on our network!!
>>
>> -derek
> Hi Derek
>
> Maybe I misunderstood you. Are you saying that you need MythTV to have
> access from a public IP address? Should it be restricted in any way?

You're not misunderstanding.  Half my network is "public IP space"
(including my MythTV box!).  If myth, by default, blocked public IPs
that would be, IMHO, a VERY BAD THING.  Half my systems wouldn't be able
to connect (and indeed, my Myth master backend would block itself!)

Should it be restricted in any way?  Well, I DO believe Myth would we
well to add some authentication.  But no, I do NOT believe that MythTV
should block based purely on public IP addresses.

> Peter

-derek