[mythtv] noob to MythTV development

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Sun Mar 12 09:51:50 UTC 2017

On 11/03/17 14:49, Dave Mansfield wrote:
> Hi -
>
> First time posting to the DEV maillist and mostly to introduce myself.
>
> Love the app - been toying around with it since 0.25 ("hosted" it on
> SuSE, CentOS, and now Ubuntu). Never really dove under the hood too
> much, but with my last hurdle being some remote control woes (I use an
> MX-850 with six devices and until it's seamless, my wife will reject
> using it!), I've decided to lean into things a bit more formally.
>
> So, I decided to poke about the bug tracker and cherry pick some
> low-hanging stuff allowing me to get comfortable with the flow of things.
>
> With regards to development:  I've been looking at the web pages and
> have not seen info on coding templates for Eclipse.  Has anyone who uses
> Eclipse setup code templates?  If so, can I get an exported copy of the
> templates?  (Spaces vs. tabs is an ironclad rule with me, too!)

I use KDevelop myself mainly just for editing purposes so sorry can't
help with Eclipse.

> On the overall architecture: Is there anything that paints the big
> picture on how Myth is put together?  One of the more confusing aspects
> is what's messaged or signalled vs. read in from the DB layer.  Most
> helpful to be able to grok that out early..

You may have already found it but most of the development docs we have
are here https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Developer_Documentation

To answer your question internally if the data we need is in the DB
then we prefer to get it from there since it is much quicker.

Sometimes the MythProtocol is uses for example if what we need is stored
on the master BE then a message will be sent to it to get it things like
what is currently recording or to grab something like coverart etc.

> Cheers!
>
> --- Dave a.k.a. muddysteel

Paul H.