[mythtv] Proposed change to Network Communications

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 18:05:50 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Peter Bennett <pgbennett at comcast.net> wrote:

> Do you have any advice for the appropriate protections? My router is no help
> and I am not a big business with money to spend on firewall devices.

I use enterprise equipment, so my examples
are likely not useful.

> I found some articles on the subject and they say you need to spend big
> bucks and that ipv6 is not ready for the home network. Most articles about
> ipv6 are addressed to medium size corporations.

Firewalling for IPv6 using linux firewalld is no more
difficult than IPv4.  It is the same ports to block (or
allow), it is just potentially a different protocol.
The only difference is that you must do it with
IPv6, where as for IPv4 it is typically not needed
since your stateful NAT gateway does it for you.

I *think* someone once posted (in the wiki?)
the iptables example for running their Myth box
on the public internet.  But the ports are well
known (and are configurable).