[mythtv] A cautionary tale on the use of ccache

roger roger at beardandsandals.co.uk
Mon Feb 20 17:15:36 UTC 2017

On 20/02/17 16:39, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> I think we should put cache -C somewhere in the distclean!
> That would entirely defeat it's purpose, especially on the build slaves
> which have limited resources. The arm builds take long enough with
> a primed ccache!
>
> If you are happy taking the hit of building the whole thing from
> scratch each time, then uninstall it.
>
> For the rest of us it saves an enormous amount of time during a
> dev / build / test cycle.
>
> Personally I make a note to do a full distclean and a ccache clean
> whenever a significant change to the repositories happen. I also don't
> happen to work in multiple build directories (apart from fixes/0.28 and
> master) at one time.

I must admit I thought that ccache handled multiple build directories.
But I just had a quick look at the man page and it looks like it needs
some configuration help to do it.

Yes it is a bit obscure, but it at least only affects debug info in
files that you haven't changed, and it is only when you mix in an
undocumented complex infrastructure like eclipse that it really bites you!

When I have finished spitting out feathers I might look at it.

Roger