[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by pbennett. v29-pre-305-gef7e594

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Fri Feb 10 15:19:22 UTC 2017

On 02/10/2017 04:56 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> Link local addresses are effectively a private network for those system
> "on the link (aka local network)" hence it's name.
>
> Think of it like a private ipv4 address space with no NAT gateway.
>
> Perhaps what might be the best option is to have the "use LL addresses"
> option default to off?

Then you should be able to connect a bunch of computers with only a
switch, or two computers with a crossover cable, and without any DHCP or
manual configuration of ip addresses, start communicating.

As far as defaulting to LL addresses unchecked, I would leave as is.
That is on the server side, and if somebody has a client that
understands how to use the link-local addresses then it should work.
John Pilkington pointed out he has a TV which works off the link local
addresses.

Making a private IPV6 network this way sounds good, but was not working
due to the need to specify an interface with the ip address. I was
thinking, if there is only one network interface we could use that, but
I suppose a lot of people may have wifi and ethernet, and that makes two
interfaces. I also wonder if we could try all interfaces one at a time
and see if any works. Even then, it would be a mistake to select the
wifi network when there was ethernet available.

Karl was also looking into it yesterday.

Peter