[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by pbennett. v29-pre-305-gef7e594

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Feb 9 22:12:47 UTC 2017

On 09/02/17 20:34, Peter Bennett wrote:
> Hi Stuart
>

> On 02/09/2017 11:54 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
>> Won't this break those whose setups do not have global ipv6 address
>> and only have link local addresses?
>
> As long as they have IPV4 addresses, it will use those. If they have
> only link-local addresses and no other IPV4 or IPV6 addresses, I think
> that nothing will work. would that be a valid configuration? Internet
> searches indicate to me that link-local addresses are of limited use and
> many applications do not support them.
>
>> Also we have an option in the backend to allow or not allow LL
>> addresses. See the code here
>>
>> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/libs/libmythbase/serverpool.cpp#L231
>>

>> Would the issue you see have gone away if the backend setting was
>> changed to not allow LL addresses?
>>

> I think you are correct, that the issue would have gone away if the
> "Listen on Link-Local addresses" checkbox was unchecked.
>
> But, unless the client was changed in some way it would fail unless you
> uncheck "Listen on Link-Local addresses". The client does not know to
> use a specific interface to talk to the backend with a link-local address.
>
> I am trying to help the new user who just installed MythTV and does not
> want to get hit with "Unknown error" the first time they attempt to run
> the front end.
>
> Regards
> Peter

Hi Peter:  I currently have two boxes with recent 'buntu downloads - and
at present neither of them can connect to its database :-(  So I'm
familiar with the recurrent setup screen.

But I also sometimes use a laptop and smart-ish tv in a location without
direct internet access or router, with just a crossover ethernet cable
connecting the laptop and the tv.  That uses link-local addressing and
works well for playback via uPnP.  For other myth operations the tv has
to be continuously powered, of course.

John P