[mythtv] mythfrontend on ubuntu 17.04 testing X11 ICE problems

roger roger at beardandsandals.co.uk
Sat Feb 4 16:27:45 UTC 2017

On 04/02/17 15:30, roger wrote:
> I have set up my little Shuttle XS35V3 box as an ubuntu 17.04 testbed.
> I have built and and installed from the 2.8 fixes branch.
>
> I keep getting this from mythfrontend on stderr
>
> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 1752, errno = 32
> QWaitCondition: cv destroy failure: Device or resource busy
> QWaitCondition: mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
>
> The old trick of deleting the ..ICEauthority file seems to work if you
> do it right after mythfrontend exits, this may be a red herring. But
> unfortunately the error will reappear at some point, most likely on
> the next boot.
>
> This problem seems to have been around for ages.
>
> Does anyone know what Qt is doing with ICE?
>
> Errno 32 is broken pipe. So what is dying and why?
>
> Seeing as I have hijacked the families myth box for testing, I am keen
> to fix this :-).
>
> So all help will be gratefully received.
>

> Roger

Sorry about the dual posting, the first one did not appear for until I
posted the second.

The top and bottom of this is that something appears to be killing the
connection between mythfrontend and the X session manager. On the my
setup the session manager is xfce4_sm. I have set XFSM_VERBOSE and have
found something interesting.

My backend  is configured for idle shutdown and wake on lan. The backend
system runs the database server as well. If the backend system is not
running then then mythfrontend goes into it wake on lan procedure. At
some time in the distant past this started to prevent the gui from
appearing, although I am not entirely sure about this, it might have
always done it. This is what the session manager log shows happening.

TRACE[xfsm-manager.c:1295] xfsm_manager_save_yourself_done():
enteringTRACE[sm-layer.c:162] sm_new_client(): ICE connection fd = 20,
received NEW CLIENT

TRACE[sm-layer.c:213] sm_register_client(): ICE connection fd = 20,
received REGISTER CLIENT [Previous Id = None]

TRACE[xfsm-manager.c:1607] xfsm_manager_save_timeout(): Client id =
2ac51c2aa-c28b-4b54-8412-69aec21ced14, received SAVE TIMEOUT
    Client will be disconnected now.

This happens whilst the frontend is still waiting for the database
connection to come up. When it does the frontend does a whole load of
gui image loads the thing you see in the log in loading
watermark/dvd.png at which point the ICE error occurs, presumably when
the main loop tries to send something to the session manager.

Roger