[mythtv] ffmpeg and mythtranscode

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 19:24:53 UTC 2017

On 12/05/2017 12:15 PM, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> On 05/12/17 00:55, John P Poet wrote:
>> I thought we /had/ agreed to drop support for non-hardware recorders
>> after 29?
>>
> With the current v4l2 devices available, do they do encoding on the
> device, or do they still spit out raw frames?

There are some HDMI USB3 capture devices available now that use generic
USB protocols that are supported by Linux. I expect that these feed raw
video frames and would need some encoding support to use them.
Eventually cable cards will disappear and maybe those HDMI capture
devices could be an alternative for USA Cable subscribers.

Peter