[mythtv] Additional run-time dependencies

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Mon Aug 21 05:49:39 UTC 2017

On 8/20/2017 3:33 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 08/20/2017 01:21 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 9:10 PM faginbagin <mythtv at hbuus.com
>> <mailto:mythtv at hbuus.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 8/19/2017 7:58 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
>>      > On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 1:16 PM <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
>> <mailto:f-myth-users at media.mit.edu>
>>      > <mailto:f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
>> <mailto:f-myth-users at media.mit.edu>>> wrote:
>>      >
>>      >          > Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 20:02:35 +0000
>>      >          > From: Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com
>> <mailto:thomas at mashos.com>
>>      >     <mailto:thomas at mashos.com <mailto:thomas at mashos.com>>>
>>      >
>>      >          > I've just added these to the dependencies for
>> mythtv-common.
>>      >     In doing so,
>>      >          > trusty builds needed to be stopped as the packages
>> don't
>>      >     exist at all on
>>      >          > trusty.
>>      >
>>      >     Is it intentional that Myth is only buildable on the
>> -latest- LTS,
>>      >     and not all LTS's which are still supported?  I don't know
>> of Myth
>>      >     has an explicit policy one way or the other, but the whole
>> point of
>>      >     an LTS is not to have to reinstall with great frequency.
>>      >
>>      >     Would it instead be possible to build (and get errors) but
>> declare ttvdb
>>      >     grabbing not possible on that OS unless extra repos are
>> enabled?  Such
>>      >     grabbing seems an almost trivial reason to suddenly drop
>> support for an
>>      >     LTS that's still got almost two years to go.
>>      >
>>      >     P.S.  I also noticed the bug report saying lack of package
>> availability
>>      >     also breaks raspbian jessie.  Taken together, this seems to
>> be affecting
>>      >     a lot of releases for a very small amount of
>> functionality.  How much of
>>      >     what's in those packages could perhaps be moved directly
>> into the
>>      >     new code
>>      >     for releases which lack the packages?
>>      >     _______________________________________________
>>      >
>>      >
>>      > The Mythbuntu team has always supported Latest LTS only and
>> recommended
>>      > upgrading every 2 years (although attempts are made to build
>> packages
>>      > for older LTS releases, if stuff causes them to break there no
>> attempt
>>      > to fix them).
>>      >
>>      > If I remove the blacklisting of Trusty, then the package will
>> build but
>>      > will fail to install due to missing dependencies. I might be
> [...]

So it might be possible to modify the patch further so it could work in
0.27? Hmm, I'm not a python expert, but I have tinkered in the language.
Guess if I want to stick with 0.27, it's time for me to take a look at
Mark's work and see if I can take it a "step backwards".

FWIW, I took a look at smolt.mythtv.org and it seems there's about 29%
active 0.27 installs. Also, isn't it time to announce this change on the
user list and the forum so those folks know they now have a good reason
to think about upgrading and should start planning for it?

Regards,
Helen