[mythtv] OT - Keeping HDMI audio link open

John Veness John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk
Thu Jun 23 08:25:10 UTC 2016

On 23/06/2016 05:11, Kingsley Turner wrote:
> hi,
>
> I have an annoyance with MythTV, it's not Myth, but my amplifier.
>
> The amp goes to some quasi-sleep-state, and takes about 2-4 seconds
> for audio to start.
> That's fine if it's a movie (with studio-self-promotion at the
> beginning), but for music clips etc, it's quite a PITA as you have to
> rewind.
>
> I was thinking about using the ALSA libs to write a little program
> that continuously plays a silent clip to keep the line open. Maybe the
> program would also look for DPMS events and stop when the screen-saver
> comes on too.
>
> Does this seem to be the correct way to go about alleviating this ?
>

> thanks,
> -kt

You might want to look at my recent thread "HDMI keep alive, maybe via
sending silent audio?"
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/599838 where I had
the same problem as you. I tried to fix it by periodically playing a
silent WAV file, which kept is alive, but then had the problem that
starting playback in MythTV would sometimes say that it couldn't play
any audio. I didn't get any further and gave up in the end, and wired up
my devices differently.

I think the best software solution would be something integrated into
Myth itself, so that it would properly start/stop the playback of silent
audio when going into/out of menus, but I don't know how to do that.

John

--
John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T