[mythtv] GetMythDB()->GetDBManager()->popConnection(reuse) returns invalid database after Database object created: DBManager1

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Jul 20 13:23:16 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-07-20 at 03:00 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> perhaps ping does not have the proper capabilities set,
> or perhaps not setuid for legacy distros?

It's something strange and new on Ubuntu Trusty.  This wasn't happening
on Precise.

In any case, I'm building diskless images with debootstrap and for
whatever reason, ping[6] are not getting their suid bit set.  Other
suid-set tools are.

There is an interesting bit of code in the postinstall for iputils-
ping:

for f in /bin/ping /bin/ping6; do
    # if the admin has set an override, don't do anything at all
    if ! dpkg-statoverride --list $f > /dev/null 2>&1; then
        # Don't use setcap for Ubuntu as tarballs don't properly store those
        # by default. LP: #1302192
        if false; then
            if echo "cap_net_raw+p" | setcap -q - $f; then
                # remove the setuid bit!
                chmod -s $f
            fi
        fi
    fi
done

As you can see, that does remove the suid bit based on capabilities,
but as you can also see it's NOOP'd out with an "if false".

FWIW, I opened https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12831 with a patch
to be a bit more obvious about when the database ping is failing.

Cheers,
b.