[mythtv] State of Raspberry Pi 2 build

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Sun Jan 31 15:45:09 UTC 2016

On 01/31/2016 07:17 AM, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
> The tar xvf needs an option added "--numeric-owner" at the end. Without
> that option the mythtv home directory and its files got owner id of 200,
> which is the id of the mythtv user on my system, and would not match 997
> which is the id of mythtv on the minimyth2 image.
> Here I’m little confused.
> By assumptions MM2 is standalone system so I’m a bit confused by „owner id of 200,which is the id of the mythtv user on my system, and would not match 997 which is the id of mythtv on the minimyth2 image”
> Is this issue related to i.e. NFS share between Yours BE and MM2?
> If Yes then I would say: design assumption is to use only myth protocol between MM2 and BE so id should be irrelevant
Hi Piotr

Let me explain a bit better. I ran the tar xvf on my Ubuntu Linux box.
On my ubuntu Linux box I already have a user mythtv with id of 200. When
it ran the tar, the extracted /home/mythtv directory came out with owner
id of 200. I looked at the /etc/passwd file of minimyth2 and saw that
user mythtv has an id of 997 in minimyth2. I did not put this extract on
the sd card, because I know that when minimyth2 starts up and logs on
mythtv with id of 997, it will think that /home/mythtv is owned by some
other user with id 200. Therefore minimyth2 will not allow the mythtv
user to access his home directory in /home/mythtv.

The solution to this problem was add --numeric-owner when extracting the
tar file and extract it again. Then /home/mythtv gets owner id of 997. I
used tar, bsdtar may work differently.

Building - I was yesterday able to build master (0.28) for raspberry pi
with the cross compile and got it fully working on xcb, no patches
needed. Video and audio works. The bug of crashing if video resolution
changes is still there. I have a patch that partly fixes it (it now
works if resolution goes up but crashes if resolution goes down). I will
try to figure that out. It crashes on assertion failures. Maybe you have
compiled with NODEBUG option and the assertions are ignored? Perhaps the
assertions are bogus.

Running with xcb has smooth video and all works nicely. The small
one-line OSD when you press I (info) does not interfere with playing.
The larger OSD if you press I again or if you press M (menu), causes
jerkiness until you close the OSD. I think this is a minor issue.

I have been unable to build mythtv on the raspberry pi. There were
compile errors when compiling mythtv with qt 5.3 which comes with Jessie
Raspbian. I tried to compile qt 5.4 on raspbian and there were link
errors with the make of qt 5.4.

Peter