[mythtv] Reducing frontend startup time

Dan Wilga mythtv-dev2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Mon Jan 11 14:43:03 UTC 2016

On 1/8/16 6:06 PM, warpme wrote:
>> Interesting. I have always had trouble using MFE after resume from S3 sleep, but with slightly different symptoms. In my case I also experience the problem after the machine has been asleep for some unknown length of time greater than a few minutes. But my FE acts as though it has dropped the UDP port connected to lircd on my BE, so it is unable to receive remote control keypresses. IIRC, things work perfectly from the keyboard.
>>
> Dan,
> I think Your’s LIRC issue lays in LIRC HW reinit after S3 resume or… standby power on USB port during S3 sleep (if Your’s IR receiver is on USB port).
> What LIRC HW are You using?
Here's my setup:

1. I use RF remote controls, which send a signal to a single receiver in
the basement.
2. The receiver converts the RF signal to IR and blasts it into my
HDHomeRun.
3. The HDHR talks to LIRC, running the UDP driver, on the backend machine.
4. The frontend machines all talk to the backend LIRC instance.

It's something to do with the TCP connection between the frontend and
the backend getting dropped if the frontend machine is in S3 idle for
too long. (Note that I said UDP in my original post; I just verified
that it is TCP.)