[mythtv] 0.28 Release Schedule

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Sat Jan 9 16:11:45 UTC 2016

On 01/09/2016 10:19 AM, Lawrence Rust wrote:

> Not impossible, just more thought provoking.  It doesn't prevent the
> development of code using new Qt features, only they are conditionally
> compiled.
>
> When Ubuntu 16.04 or FC24 ship will you deprecate Qt 5.4 usage to take
> advantage of C++11 compiler features in Qt5.5 like lamdas, const_exprs
> etc ?  That will really minimise the user base.

I am not a developer here, but I am on 12.04 and I am continually
frustrated by the out of date versions of libre office and other
applications, the fact that there is no support for x265, and numerous
other things. Some newer applications I have installed from PPA, like a
newer libre office, and it works but has some strange things happening
like menus that display as ???, so it really does not work correctly.

My message is that if you stick with an older operating system version
you are stuck with an older version of the applications. Mythtv 0.27
still continues to work for those folks on 12.04, but to get 0.28 they
should need to upgrade. I am planning to upgrade to 15.10 (it seems
silly to go to 14.04 which is already 2 years old) and then I will have
to upgrade again to 16.04 in a few months time. In future I will not
stick with an LTS version for 4 years, it is too frustrating.

Peter