[mythtv] 0.28 Release Schedule

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Wed Jan 6 23:24:08 UTC 2016

On Wednesday 06 Jan 2016 21:53:27 Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> On 06/01/16 21:45, Richard Shaw wrote:
> > Fantastic!
> >
> > I know I've seen a few emails about the changes, but could you summarize
> > the main disruptive changes with 0.28?
> >
> > Will mythweb be obsolete?
>
> no, because the web based setup is not complete.

Actually, it depends what you use mythweb for.

There was very limited 'setup' functionality in mythweb anyway so the absence
of the web based setup doesn't have much day to day impact.

For day to day usage, the WebFrontend provides most of the day to day features
- scheduling, recording management and that sort of stuff. It's lacking some
features which were present in mythweb, but it also offers other features which
weren't there in mythweb too. Since it works out of the box with no need to
install a webserver, php or perform additional configuration above what is
required to setup mythbackend it's convenient and may be sufficient replacement
for mythweb for many users.

That said, I would caution against exposing it directly to the internet for
now, while a number of security related features have been built in (HTTP
digest authentication, TLS encryption etc) it hasn't yet been hardened to the
extent we'd like. I wouldn't say it's less secure than mythweb in that respect
as mythweb was written years ago and really shouldn't be placed directly on
net facing connection either. Access via LAN or VPN would be recommended at
least for now.

--
Stuart Morgan
MythTV