[mythtv] State of Raspberry Pi 2 build

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 17:24:17 UTC 2016

On 10/02/16 03:06, Peter Bennett wrote:

>>> Mike, thx for Your time spent on MM2!
>>> Yes. This seems to be key issue now.
>>> For me this is show stopper.
>>> Main Q for me is: is RPI2 support in MythTV actively developed?
>>> I see LVR a bit abandon mythtv devs team.
>>> This is big loose for project :-(
>>> This is v. good message for me.
>>> So now I know how to build whole OS to have working mythtv on RPI2.
>>> I believe it is Qt build issue on Jessie.
>>> I spent over week to understand how to do this correctly on ARCHLINUX.
>>> (BTW: On original ArchLinux ARM nothing works. FE segfaults or hangs
>>> on startup)
>>> I think - again - this is OSD rendering issue.
>>> I believe all functions should work OK in MM2 (albeit I not tested
>>> every one of them ;-) )
>>> I’ll look on this. Probably interference with some of my patches…
>>> I’m confused here. If user unpacks archive in terminal window as root
>>> - all should be OK without any —numeric-owner option.
>>> I’m doing this routinely in Fedora23 VM
>>> br

>> Piotr,
>>
>> Lawrence Rust is still working on improving playback on RPi2.
>> There are some patches to mythtv master (not on github yet) which may
>> assist you, in particular patch
>> 0308-VO-Threaded-softblend-OSD-rendering.patch from
>> http://softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythpatches-0.24.tar.bz2.
>>
>> I did a quick and dirty build with just this patch and it does improve
>> playback in xcb, less jerkiness when displaying information on screen
>> whilst in live tv.
>>
>> There are some other patches in which may be relevant, I did try
>> applying all of the Lawrence Rust patches to mythtv master but
>> building using mythbuild.sh failed (I think a number of the patches
>> are not longer needed)
>>
>> Mike
>>

> I tried the OSD patch and it is still jerky. I do not think that it has
> helped.
>
> You cannot install all of Lawrence's patches. Some have conflicts, some
> are already installed and many are nothing to do with Raspberry PI. I
> have selected a couple of the relevant ones and fixed some errors in
> them for the two tickets I am working on.
>
> I am unable to run with EGLFS. On startup it displays the theme
> background and then fails with a seg fault. Then the console is locked
> and I have to reboot.
>
> Peter

Console lockup can be fixed without reboot (info from Lawrence) if
keyboard is attached by

  alt-sysrq-r

The patch (0308) does improve xcb performance on my system, it is still
jittery but less so. I am in UK with HD h264. The Playback data on
screen display goes from around 11 FPS without the patch to 16 FPS with
the patch for Live TV, but it does have someway to go as FPS should be
25. This is with Video 1920x1080i at 25.00fps. eglfs still seg faults on
startup

I have also done a bit more testing on MiniMyth2.

With eglfs I can get pretty good HD h264 live TV and video playback with
OSD render set to opengl, rather than softblend, by overclocking :
boot_delay=2
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
h264_freq=500
isp_freq=0
v3d_freq=500
avoid_pwm_pll=1
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=2
force_turbo=1 (Disables throttling.)
temp_limit=80 (Temperature limit. Used for testing / fail safe.)

Playback data shows FPS around 25 (varies 23 to 27),  again for
1920x1080i at 25.00fps

I also tried xcb (after installing X) on MiniMyth2, similar results as
before ( the overclocking above makes little or no difference), opengl
OSD not good - stutters, softblend -  much better, but still jitters.

For me eglfs is better than xcb on MiniMyth2, but all my TV's can be set
to disable overscan

Mike