[mythtv] State of Raspberry Pi 2 build

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Tue Feb 9 21:37:57 UTC 2016

On 02/09/2016 01:20 PM, Mike Bibbings wrote:
> On 31/01/16 12:35, Piotr Oniszczuk wrote:
>>> Wiadomość napisana przez Mike Bibbings <mike.bibbings at gmail.com> w
>>> dniu 30.01.2016, o godz. 13:47:
>>>
>>> I have just tried MiniMyth2 and it works reasonably well against my
>>> mythbackend 0.28pre with DVB-S/S2 and DVB-T/T2 tuners (I am in the
>>> UK using Freest and Freeview).
>> Mike, thx for Your time spent on MM2!
>>> The main issue I have is with HD (H264), both LiveTV and recorded
>>> programs in that there is some jitter, even with OSD renderer set to
>>> softblend (in openmax profile), if set to opengl2 HD is totally
>>> unusable. SD live TV  and recorded programs are ok.
>> Yes. This seems to be key issue now.
>> For me this is show stopper.
>> Main Q for me is: is RPI2 support in MythTV actively developed?
>> I see LVR a bit abandon mythtv devs team.
>> This is big loose for project :-(
>>> These results are comparable to my RPI2 build  on Debian Jessie
>>> (x86_64) using  Lawrence Rust mythbuild.sh system.
>> This is v. good message for me.
>> So now I know how to build whole OS to have working mythtv on RPI2.
>>> Although under RPI2 Raspbian Jessie only xcv works for me (eglfs seg
>>> faults at startup).
>> I believe it is Qt build issue on Jessie.
>> I spent over week to understand how to do this correctly on ARCHLINUX.
>> (BTW: On original ArchLinux ARM nothing works. FE segfaults or hangs
>> on startup)
>>> Meg (Red Button) services work, but  live TV  stutters very badly
>>> even using softblend.
>> I think - again - this is OSD rendering issue.
>>> The good news is that Mythbrowser (Web) and MythNews (News Feeds) do
>>> work (I believe this is due to later QT5 version than in Lawrence
>>> Rust build which uses 5.4.0).
>> I believe all functions should work OK in MM2 (albeit I not tested
>> every one of them ;-) )
>>> I tried to change to Steppes theme, but download failed in Theme
>>> Chooser. Steppes (2.17) did work when I installed it manually from
>>> git. Changing theme does work in Lawrence Rust build.
>> I’ll look on this. Probably interference with some of my patches…
>>> I am  a bit confused about tar v bsdtar. The --numeric-owner option
>>> only seems to apply to tar, not bsdtar. The image I created was done
>>> as root on Debian Jessie (x86_64) using tar with the —numeric-owner
>>> option.
>> I’m confused here. If user unpacks archive in terminal window as root
>> - all should be OK without any —numeric-owner option.
>> I’m doing this routinely in Fedora23 VM
>> br

> Piotr,
>
> Lawrence Rust is still working on improving playback on RPi2.
> There are some patches to mythtv master (not on github yet) which may
> assist you, in particular patch
> 0308-VO-Threaded-softblend-OSD-rendering.patch from
> http://softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythpatches-0.24.tar.bz2.
>
> I did a quick and dirty build with just this patch and it does improve
> [...]

I am working on some RPI patches for a couple of playback issue. Those
will be ready in a couple of days. I have patches for both of these
issues and I am testing them currently.

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12643
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12644

I will try the softblend OSD patch you mentioned.

Peter