[mythtv] Myth frontend for tvOS (Apple)

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sun Oct 4 20:33:25 UTC 2015

> On Oct 3, 2015, at 1:12 PM, Bart Whiteley <bart.lists at whiteley.org> wrote:
>
> I'm interested in building a MythTV frontend for tvOS.
>
> First of all, is there already an effort underway to do this?
>
> I'm thinking about using libVLC and the Services API.
> Is there a better approach? Is the Services API stable and ready for something like this?
>
> What challenges or limitations will I face with this approach?

First, I think that is a really interesting proposal.

There are several alternate frontend clients using the Services API.  See:

https://github.com/MythTV-Clients <https://github.com/MythTV-Clients>

A completely-out-of-blue-sky possibility is to adapt the MythTV’s frontend to tvOS.  My Google search suggests that Qt is being adapted for tvOS.  mythfrontend already builds and runs on OS X, including supporting the Apple Remote.  AIUI, the new AppleTV will also support the existing Apple Remote.  Therefore, maybe it wouldn’t be so hard to get an initial version of the frontend.  Of course, supporting the Siri Remote would likely take more work…but maybe the Qt project will handle some of the grunt work?

Probably completely wrong, but I thought I’d throw that out there.

Craig