[mythtv] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 frontend testers

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Wed Nov 25 19:30:02 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 11:08 AM Peter Bennett <pgbennett at comcast.net>
wrote:

> On 11/25/2015 01:29 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:
>
> I'd like to know this as well. I've been attempting to get this packaged
>> and in a ppa so we can get more testers, but I believe I'll need to
>> repackage the openmax libraries first. I've been using the ones packaged by
>> the Ubuntu mate team but it installed the libraries in a non-standard
>> location
>> --
>> Thomas Mashos
>>
>> Just one question - are there PPA's for Raspberry Pi Debian?  Currently
>> the pre-built version I installed is for Debian Wheezy, but Debian has now
>> moved to Jessie so that is probably a better version to target.
>>
>> I am testing the prebuilt wheezy version and it looks good.
>>
>> Peter
>>
> No, PPAs can't build for Debian, only Ubuntu. I've been attempting to
> build for 15.10 without much luck. ATM I'm attempting to build against the
> older openmax packages, we'll see how that fares in a few hours.
>
> --
> Thomas Mashos
>
> Hi Thomas
>
> Forgive me if I am stating the obvious - but building in a PPA will not
> help with getting more testers. The raspberry PI does not use x64 or i386
> architecture, it uses arm71 architecture, so they have to be cross compiled
> (a process I do not understand) or built on a raspberry pi (takes hours),
> and then deployed on a repository somewhere so that raspberry pi testers
> can download and install it.

We can build armhf packages on a PPA (we actually already do build armhf
packages on our PPA, I'm attempting to add the openmax support for them).
Once I get the builds with the openmax support working, then I'll see about
writing some instructions for testing the builds (the builds are for wily,
so the easiest might be to install the raspberry pi 2 image for ubuntu mate
15.10).

> Since the same deb package cannot be installed on both PC and raspberry pi
> because of the different architecture, it may be convenient to exclude the
> openmax interfaces when building for i386 and x64, and include them when
> building for arm.

Yes, this is precisely what we're planning on doing and is fairly trivial
to do. We'll install the openmax dev packages on the build server for armhf
only (since I don't know of any x86/x86_64 systems that have openmax). Then
mythtv will enable openmax support during the configure step if it finds
the openmax headers (this is the part I'm having issues with, getting it to
find the headers).

> Peter Bennett

Thomas Mashos