[mythtv] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 frontend testers

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Wed Nov 25 00:20:30 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015, 4:15 PM Chris Weiland <chrisjweiland at gmail.com> wrote:

> First, thank you SO much for creating this.
>
> Second, the configure script doesn't appear to be enabling openmax
> support.  I'm not sure what's preventing it from finding it.  In past
> experience, this meant that I needed to install a package from apt, but I
> should already have everything I need to compile in openmax support since I
> was developing this as well.
>
> Do you know what I might be missing?  I'm trying the 27-fixes branch if
> that helps.
>
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 10:42 PM, Peter Bennett <pgbennett at comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/17/2015 02:24 PM, Lawrence Rust wrote:
>> > It's been a while since I last posted here but I've kept a watch on
>> > MythTV development and have seen lots of improvements.
>> >
>> > Recently I acquired a few Raspberry Pi2's for a project and thought it
>> > might be challenging to get one working with Myth using the integrated
>> > video hardware.  I've noticed a few other users talking about this too.
>> >
>> > I've had a Raspberry Pi2 running MythTV 0.27 frontend for about 6 weeks
>> > now and it feels fairly robust.  It uses the OpenMAX APIs to render
>> > video using the VideoCore hardware with hardware de-interlacing.  It
>> > also includes an optional OpenMAX MPEG decoder (£2 license required)
>> > that provides hardware decoding.  The OSD can either be softblend or EGL
>> > based OpenGL2.  It also supports visualisation, PiP and PbP.  Audio is
>> > best served via ALSA and there are 2 patches to make ALSA work nicely on
>> > a Rpi2
>> >
>> > The patches (32 in total) also include an OpenGLES2 based video renderer
>> > and OpenGL GUI although the GUI (based on Qt 5.4) is still a little
>> > flaky - the Qt GUI is much more stable.
>> >
>> > If anyone would like to try it and provide some feedback then checkout
>> > the fixes-0.27-rpi2 branch from here:
>> > http://www.softsystem.co.uk/git/mythtv.git
>> >
>> > The server is running on a Rpi2 too so give it some time :-)
>> >
>> > Cross build and runtime instructions for a Debian based host are here:
>> > http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythtv_for_rpi.txt
>> >
>> > A pre-built archive (93MB) is available here:
>> >
>> http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythtv-v0.27.5-74-g921a92e-RPI2.tar.bz2
>> >
>> > To try this, after downloading on the Rpi, follow the runtime
>> > instructions in mythtv_for_rpi.txt (above).
>> >
>> > If there's a demand I could port the changes to current master too.
>> >
>> > Comments and suggestions please.
>> >
>> > -- Lawrence Rust
>> >

>> This is great news. I currently have two RPI2's running Kodi and the
>> mythtv pvr plugin - which works but with some problems and restrictions.
>> The real MythTV frontend would be so much better. I will try it out.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Peter

I'd like to know this as well. I've been attempting to get this packaged
and in a ppa so we can get more testers, but I believe I'll need to
repackage the openmax libraries first. I've been using the ones packaged by
the Ubuntu mate team but it installed the libraries in a non-standard
location
--
Thomas Mashos