[mythtv] MySQL issue with Python binding

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 14:52:58 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> which is at version 1.3.7.  Therefore, I think they are using mysqlclient,
> even if they're calling it MySQL-python.

Correct.  Around May of this year the maintainer in Fedora moved
the upstream source.  mysqlclient was stated to be "mostly compatible"
with MySQL-python (but obviously not in all cases).  There are
advantages of mysqlclient to MySQL-python (thread safety,
python 3 support, etc.) but the "mostly compatible" does not mean
fully compatible, obviously.  I suspect the impending move to Python
3 by default in Fedora was the driver for the change (but I am not
willing to do the research to validate that suspicion)

I would have (likely) created the package with the name mysqlclient
with an obsoletes specification for MySQL-python so it would have
been clearer what happened here, but I am not the decider.

In any case, someone will indeed need to do the testing across the
various implementations.  Likely someone motivated to resolve
the issue.