[mythtv] Merging cards and inputs, testing help needed

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Jan 20 19:37:54 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 01:33:31PM -0500, George Nassas wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2015, at 10:51 AM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> >
> > Okay.  FYI, it should be sufficient to ignore NTSC and just test
> > Composite and S-Video inputs.
>
> Still, you need different programming on the various inputs to verify that it's actually recording on the input it says it is rather than saying "OK" and doing whatever.

You don't need different programming, just a different video source.
You can force MythTV to record from the non-default one by using a
preferred "input" in the recording rule.

> As it happens, a disconnected analog tuner puts out static while disconnected S-Video gives a blank screen which is helpful. I scheduled, and got, 15 minutes of tuner static from 11:45 to 12:00 followed by 15 minutes of S-Video blankness so I'd say the code passes a basic stink test for ivtv devices. I don't have an HD-PVR or pure V4L device so I can't help you there.

Good idea.  I hadn't thought to test by simply recording static and
"nothing".  My test DVB card has an analog input, so I can try that.
I can also get an HD-PVR out of storage and try that.

> If you need anything else tested it'll have to wait until next Monday so I'll close with the comment that I'm glad to see this effort happening - the acquisition side of myth has always been at the forefront and it's good to see that continuing.

No that's okay.  Thanks for what you've already tested.  FYI, I'm
tentatively planning to push these changes, along with some others I
already have queued up, next Monday.

Also, to properly set everyone's expectations.  It's likely going to
be quite a while before we actually reach the goal of multirec without
virtual tuners.  At this point, the last planned step of updating the
low-level recorder code is a very big unknown.  That's because all of
the current developers have very little, if any, experience with that
code.

David
--
David Engel