[mythtv] New Schedules Direct feature: "is this Sporting Event over"?

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Mon Dec 14 22:19:45 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 2:16 PM Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 3:55 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
> > In opposition to your idea of "start at scheduled time, end at scheduled
> > time + length of overrun", that might make the least amount of sense. I'm
> > not aware of any sporting events that hard end at the specified time,
> which
> > means starting at the scheduled time when we know there is overrun helps
> 0%
> > of the time.
>
> It helps in the case where Schedules Direct is late in delivering the
> isComplete flag, and that may not be 0% of the time (no offense
> intended to Robert, et al.).  The point is to be conservative, and
> over-record, on the assumption that disk is cheap compared to
> disappointment.
>
> Eric

Which is why I said it was debatable and then listed why in a following
paragraph :)

"For delayed starts, it gets more difficult as we need to check if the
sporting event is over (and how is SD determining if it's over?) and then
decide what to record. We almost need some recording buffer from the
previous check against SD if the event is over to the current check and if
the event is still in progress to drop the previous buffer. (this is what I
was talking about being debatable earlier) Then we have other questions,
how good is myth at chopping off the beginning of that recording, how much
do we care about wasted storage, etc."
--
Thomas Mashos