[mythtv] New Schedules Direct feature: "is this Sporting Event over"?

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Mon Dec 14 20:55:17 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 11:58 AM Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
> > Correct, in the "Don't Shift" case, we don't care. So your sensible
> default
> > is "Do nothing different". Just because it's what we already do doesn't
> mean
> > it wouldn't be considered the default if there are multiple options.
>
> That doesn't seem very sensible as a default to me.  Given that myth
> users are recommended to over-provision tuners, I'd expect that
> programs following a sporting event should (by default) start
> recording at the normally scheduled time, and stop recording at the
> scheduled time + the length of time of the over-run.  That would give
> the highest probability of catching the full program.  I'd much rather
> record too much than not enough.
>
> Eric

Well OK, but now we're discussing different possibilities. I was just
pointing out that the issue of "How would myth know if the show was
timeshifted vs if it joined a recording in progress" was something easily
handled by user configuration.

In opposition to your idea of "start at scheduled time, end at scheduled
time + length of overrun", that might make the least amount of sense. I'm
not aware of any sporting events that hard end at the specified time, which
means starting at the scheduled time when we know there is overrun helps 0%
of the time. (This is debatable and mostly relates to the question how we
would prepare to record shows when we don't know exactly when it would
start).

That then leaves whether we're joining an inprogress recording vs when the
station delays the start of the program. Our local NBC channel joins the
in-progress recording, then will replay the episode in the early morning
hours. This would be another use case where we'd need an option to
"Sporting event overran start of program by X minutes, cancel recording and
reschedule".

For delayed starts, it gets more difficult as we need to check if the
sporting event is over (and how is SD determining if it's over?) and then
decide what to record. We almost need some recording buffer from the
previous check against SD if the event is over to the current check and if
the event is still in progress to drop the previous buffer. (this is what I
was talking about being debatable earlier) Then we have other questions,
how good is myth at chopping off the beginning of that recording, how much
do we care about wasted storage, etc.

--
Thomas Mashos