[mythtv] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 frontend testers

Andreas Mayer and.mayer at aon.at
Tue Dec 1 20:32:18 UTC 2015

Hi Lawrence,

first of all I would like to thank you for your great work allowing to
start use of OpenMax for MythTV on RPi2 (and for your build script I'm
using too for the mythtv build on Windows)!

I started to play with your development tree on Raspian Wheezy with Qt4
(Wheezy) and Qt5 (from twolike.be repository) installed (on Rpi2 with
mpeg2 and vc-1 license keys installed).

The binary build did play mpeg videos quite well (but with higher CPU
utilization than LiveTV using Kodi with the mythtv pvr plugin),
The playback of H.264 videos was partially successful (some stuttering),
with one VC-1 video playback was unusable.
I did run mythfrontend with -v playback to verify decoder and renderer used.

Next I tried to compile native on Wheezy without much luck (Qt4 does not
include OpenGL ES 2.0 support, would have needed additional Qt5 packages
but twolife.be did already switch to Jessie).

So I decided to continue with a new vanilla Jessie image (and Jessie Qt
5.3.2 packages) and initially had the same problems that were already
discussed here.
As far as I remember:
additional includes/libraries needed for /opt/vc
configure failed to detect OpenGL ES when Qt4 and Qt5 were installed,
even if Qt5 included opengles
QTCONF=$(pkg-config --variable=qt_config QtCore || pkg-config
--variable=qt_config Qt5Core)
if echo "$QTCONF" | grep -qv opengles2 ; then
     disable opengles
fi
compile failed for videoout_omx.cpp, as far as I was able to find out
because there was redefinition of Bool and None in some X11 library, I
did #undef Bool. None and KeyPress (yes, I know, very dirty way)
I had to include additional headers in videoout_omx.cpp (QTransform,
vc_dispmanx.h) and to typedef EGL_DISPMANX_WINDOW_T
Finally I was able to successfully compile and install mythtv on Jessie.

Later on I had to find out that the Jessie Qt5 packages appear not to
use vc opengles, neither mythfontend nor Qt example hellogl_es2
-platform eglfs where able to create a surface.
"EGL Error : Could not create the egl surface: error = 0x300b"

Next I did install the Qt5 packages provided by twolife.be, both
mythfrontend and hellogl_es2 were able to start without an error message
but there is no usable screen display for both.

Both Kodi (with videos on local SSD attached using USB and streamed
using UPnP from my mythbackend, without PVR addon because currently
there is no prebuilt package availabe) and omxplayer were able to
playback some mpeg, H264 and one VC-1 test videos without using too much
CPU.

Currently I'm still trying to get a usable native compile on Jessie.
I think (without knowing any details how your work and kodi/omxplayer
openmax interfaces differ) that in addition one would need to improve
something to reduce CPU utilization (but I don't know if that's
something caused by mythtv in general or by the openmax part).

My nexts possible steps would be to try to find out why eglfs is not
working on Jessie and to try to compile Qt(5) myself using your patches.
What do you think?

Regards,
Andreas Mayer