[mythtv] Question about Frontend Configuration

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 15:36:42 UTC 2015

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 7:45 AM, Peter Bennett <pgbennett at comcast.net>
wrote:

> I am updating the document for the frontend configuration.
>
> I want to confirm that a bunch of configuration pages were removed from
> the "Playback OSD" settings and not put somewhere else in setup. As far
> as I can see these settings have been moved to the theme setup in
> osd.xml or, in the case of UDP notifications, removed altogether.
>
> These settings are currently documented here:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Detailed_configuration_Frontend#UDP_OSD_Notifications
> I am removing the documentation for several pages starting from this one
> up to and including "OSD Menu Editor" since it looks like they are gone.
>
> Thanks for this!  Yes, almost all of that was removed from the setup pages.

All caption font and background settings were moved to the theme-specific
osd_subtitle.xml, see https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Osd_subtitle.xml .
Subtitle codec for external subtitle files (e.g. .srt) is still on the
setup page.

CEA-708 is now always preferred over CEA-608, now that support for CEA-708
is solid.  CEA-608 can be manually selected during playback if desired.

Text zoom for captions is now a "live" setting that can be adjusted during
playback, similar to audio delay and timestretch.

There is no longer a setup page for customization of the playback OSD menu
(it was dropped after the OSD menu capabilities grew enormously).  Instead,
the entire hierarchical structure is now defined in an xml file, which can
be customized by the theme or by the user.  There is also a "compact"
version of the menu where a user (or themer) can define an alternate menu
hierarchy accessed by a different keybinding, the idea being that you can
arrange for your most commonly used functions to be easier/quicker to
find.  This is also used for the cutlist editor.  This is described in
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Themed_Menus and is 0.28/master only.

Jim