[mythtv] Plans for SchedulesDirect?

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Fri Sep 19 16:06:58 UTC 2014

On Friday 19 Sep 2014 11:06:35 Rich Freeman wrote:
> I wanted to understand what the roadmap for MythTV is.  Are there
> plans to incorporate one of these solutions into MythTV, or to
> otherwise update mythfilldatabase to use the new data source?  If
> nothing else I just wanted to make sure the issue had attention since
> I don't see any discussion originating from the MythTV developers.

The preferred solution for MythTV is for the creation of an official xmltv
grabber. This would consolidate the whole world on a single mechanism for
inserting guide data from third party sources (ignoring EIT for now). The
benefits include less code for us to maintain, fewer surprises and more
consistency in behaviour no matter where users happen to live.

Unfortunately since the MythTV team only learnt of this November deadline last
week we've not been given much time to prepare. However the good news is that
an xmltv grabber is not difficult to write and would need no changes to MythTV
code, once configured it would just work with all versions of MythTV (new and
old). The other good news is that Robert Eden of SchedulesDirect is an xmltv
developer.
--
Stuart Morgan
MythTV