[mythtv] upnp on master with panasonic viera series e5

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 14:26:03 UTC 2014

On Thursday 11 Sep 2014 23:45:30 Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thursday, September 11, 2014, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:
> > As Videos, the TV quotes the format of all as MPEG2-TS.  Even for h264.
>
> Are we using the same terms?
>
> Mpeg-ts is a container, h264 is a codec.
>
> MPEG-ts  can contain a h264 stream.
>
> > For DVB-T2 Recordings, the TV says 'Format Video'.
> >
> > For DVB-T, raw or processed, the TV shows 'Format MPEG2-TS', and the
> > Duration looks correct.
> >
> > TestMimeType gives video/mpeg for all .mpg files, anyhow.
>
> Mine type describe the container format.

I know what he means in this case. For the DLNA profile there are two groups
applicable to recordings, MPEG_TS_* and AVC_*. Although both use MPEG_TS
containers, the DLNA group in their infinite wisdom decided not to extend the
older MPEG_TS profile group to include any profiles using AVC. Currently we
assume that recordings are MPEG-2 (MPEG_TS_* profile) unless we know they use
H.264 and then we use the AVC_* profile.

We are only storing codec information (well setting the AVC videoprop) for new
recordings made in master. Until such time as I've finished the code to write
the codec information to the database and then created an application to
inspect all older recordings (and videos) our upnp server will use the
incorrect profile group for AVC/H.264 recordings.
--
Stuart Morgan