[mythtv] Upgrade database from command line

Grant Gardner grant at lastweekend.com.au
Mon Sep 8 22:21:40 UTC 2014

On 9 September 2014 03:23, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 3:56 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
> wrote:
> > On 09/08/2014 04:49 AM, Grant Gardner wrote:
> >>
> >> If I've read the code correctly current trunk can go back as far as
> >> 0.24, and 0.24-fixes can go back as far as 0.14
> >> See - https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/504
> >

> > This is why I'm of the opinion that just having one database upgrade
> utility
> > is the way to go.  I do like the idea of a command-line upgrade (and
> planned
> > to modify MythTV to allow it).  I just don't think we need any kind of
> > "upgrade any MythTV database version to any other" support--especially
> since
> > there's a /very/ good reason we dropped support for upgrading from
> pre-0.22
> > database versions (because the code that does so doesn't work properly
> with
> > modern Qt and Qt-MySQL drivers, so it may fail or--worse--silently
> corrupt
> > the data).

Makes sense.

In any case I have backported the simple approach to --bootstrap to
0.24-fixes
https://github.com/lwoggardner/mythtv/tree/bootstrap-0.24.

This could be used as a base to build a virtual machine or docker image
(with the right versions of qt / mysql) with which to upgrade old database
backups up to something that
any later version can then upgrade.
​

Since I don't have any old databases to test with I'm going to leave it
here.
​