[mythtv] Upgrade database from command line

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 8 10:56:15 UTC 2014

On 09/08/2014 04:49 AM, Grant Gardner wrote:
> If I've read the code correctly current trunk can go back as far as
> 0.24, and 0.24-fixes can go back as far as 0.14
> See - https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/504

No, current trunk can upgrade any MythTV database from MythTV version
0.22 or higher, where 0.22 was released on Nov 6, 2009 (so, basically 5
years ago).   So people running versions of MythTV > 5yrs old (where the
most-recent version before 0.22, 0.21, was released in Mar 2008--6
1/2yrs ago), have to upgrade from their pre-0.22 version to 0.22, 0.23,
or 0.24 to upgrade to a database version that the current MythTV version
can upgrade.  Everyone else can just upgrade directly to the current
version.

IMHO, if you're running a version of MythTV that's 6 1/2 years old or
older, your needing to take an extra step to upgrade to modern MythTV
isn't asking too much--since you skipped upgrading for >5yrs.  And,
besides, before upgrading, people really need to read all the release
notes for every version between their version and the version to which
they're upgrading to ensure they configure for the changes that have
occurred since.

Besides, if you're running a version of MythTV that's 6 1/2 years old,
it seems MythTV isn't that critical to you, so the other option is to
just install a new version and start a new database.

This is why I'm of the opinion that just having one database upgrade
utility is the way to go.  I do like the idea of a command-line upgrade
(and planned to modify MythTV to allow it).  I just don't think we need
any kind of "upgrade any MythTV database version to any other"
support--especially since there's a /very/ good reason we dropped
support for upgrading from pre-0.22 database versions (because the code
that does so doesn't work properly with modern Qt and Qt-MySQL drivers,
so it may fail or--worse--silently corrupt the data).

Mike