[mythtv] Upgrade database from command line

Grant Gardner grant at lastweekend.com.au
Sat Sep 6 01:52:33 UTC 2014

On 5 September 2014 08:10, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 September 2014 01:08, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
>
>> IIRC, patches are always welcome. If you do decide to do this, can you
>> somehow incorporate a "default db settings" file or something? I'm
>> working on some packaging issues that we discussed in #mythtv
>> regarding our (Mythbuntu) default DB, but I really need a way to set
>> some defaults in the DB (eg. theme, storage group location, etc) and
>> I'm not finding a non-hacky way to do that.
>
> It would be awesome to have a small utility, that can be packaged
> outside of mythtv so people can easily upgrade from an old version of
> myth (0.21 and earlier) to 0.24 DB schema, and then 0.27 without
> having to install a whole system like what is currently being
> discussed in the mythtv user mailing list

Docker could help with this too.

Create Docker images with mythbackend patched for --bootstrap for
every step version of mythtv required in the upgrade path.  These are
stored in docker hub so accessible for everyone (with an lxc or
libcontainer capable kernel).

Starting with a mysql dump from  0.21 ...

* Starts docker container from mythtv-upgrade-0.21, which
(automatically) restores from the supplied dump and runs mythbackend
--bootstrap, runs mysqldump
* Starts docker container from mythtv-upgrade-0-24, restores from the
previous dump, runs mythbackend --bootstrap,  runs mysqldump
* Starts docker container from mythtv-upgrade-0.27, restores from the
backup, runs mythbackend --bootstrap, runs mysqldump

End up with a mysql dump from 0.27 and away you go.

This assumes MythTV upgrades can be done only on the database without
caring about the non-existence of the actual recording files etc.

It would pull a few Gb of docker images which may take 10s of minutes,
while the upgrades themselves will take seconds, but who cares. Its
all cleaned up and discarded afterwards, and completely independent of
the host operating system.

If you were really keen you put a service up on one of the cloud
providers that implements the above in a user accessible way, and
removes all issues with the user's hardware/OS.