[mythtv] Table for Upcoming Recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 10 17:16:56 UTC 2014

On 10/10/2014 12:39 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 10/10/14 12:08 PM, Stuart Morgan wrote:
>> On Friday 10 Oct 2014 11:51:12 R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>> I cannot find the answer to this question:
>>>
>>> Which table holds the Upcoming Recordings data?
>>>
>>> I had a power outage which borked the box on re-boot. I missed some
>>> recordings as a result. But they still show up in the 'Upcoming
>>> Recordings' listing.
>>> And I cannot remove them!  Using Delete pops up the usual 'Delete
>>> Recording Rule' but that does nothing to the missed entry. It
>>> remains in
>>> green as if the recording were still in progress!
>>> Listed upcoming programs are deleted.
>>>
>>> I come up empty spelunking the mysql tables for the correct rows to
>>> delete. I cannot find which table holds the data.
>>
>> It's not held in any table, it's held in memory. <Cue spooky music>
>
> <cue weird horror-themed spooky music with overlay BWA-HA-HA-HA shriek>
>
> Now THAT I would NEVER have guessed. It *does* explain why I cannot
> find it in the tables.
> THanks!
>
> So of course, a re-start of the backend should clear it.
>
> Must have been a power flicker. Could not have been a full outage. I
> really do need to get the replacement battery for the UPS and move it
> from the office to home!

Yes, I didn't mention the fact that in-progress recordings will still
show because you had mentioned a power outage and a reboot, which
implied a backend restart.  And, FWIW, keep in mind in the future that a
backend restart is generally the easiest first action to take when you
notice something that seems wrong.  (Of course, we're running GNU/Linux,
and true power users will tell you it never needs rebooted and
applications never need restarted.  IMHO, they do this only because they
enjoy seeing someone squirm and waste time for 3 days trying to identify
and properly fix whatever is wrong, basically reinitializing the system
and applications--something which system shutdown/startup scripts are
designed to do, and do in a couple minutes or less.  While it's true
there's probably a way to avoid a reboot/restart in many or most
circumstances, there's something to be said for not having to spend
hours/days/weeks/months looking for the problem and/or approach for
fixing it, not to mention the confidence provided by a known-working
mechanism for properly reinitializing the system and applications.)

Mike