[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by paulh. v0.28-pre-2408-g5cd97d7

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 18:39:41 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Git Repo Owner <noreply at mythtv.org> wrote:

> commit 5cd97d7fd999e4d8575a51a55b97d65c3093a754
> Author:    Paul Harrison <pharrison at mythtv.org> at Sat, 15 Nov 2014
> 23:42:32 +0000
> Committer: Paul Harrison <pharrison at mythtv.org> at Sat, 15 Nov 2014
> 23:42:32 +0000
>
> MythUIHelper: add any base themes to the search path and cache the result
> This allows a simple form of theme inheritance where you could add your own
> window or widget definitions to a new theme but still use everything else
> from
> the base theme.
>
> First the theme would be searched then any base theme if defined in
> themeinfo.xml then the usual fallback to default-wide then default.
>
> The next step would be allow windows and widgets in the new theme to
> inherit
> from ones in the base theme so you would only need to change the elements
> you need rather than having to completely redefine them in the new theme.

Hi Paul,

This sounds like it has a lot of potential.  I was wondering if you had
thought about the even more convoluted case, where the 'new' theme
re-defines a "base" element and not the window(s) that use it?

Theme Alpha defines:
base.xml:  <group name="someusefulgroup">
recordings-ui.xml:   <window name="editmetadata">  which uses
"someusefulgroup".

Theme Beta inherits from Alpha, and (re)defines
base.xml:  <group name="someusefulgroup">
but does NOT define "editmetadata".

The expectation would be that when "editmetadata" was needed, it would read
it from Alpha, but when it needed "someusefulgroup" (as an element of
"editmetadata") it would inherit that from Beta's base.xml.

If you are able to make it handle convoluted cases like this, it would
allow me to reduce Steppes-narrow to be just a ghost of its current self.
I am guessing at least 90% of Steppes-narrow is identical to Steppes, with
just a few elements redefined here and there.  As it is right now, keeping
Steppes-narrow up to date is a pain.  This stuff you are doing has the
potential to make it mostly automatic.

Thanks!

John