[mythtv] upnp sort order - proposed patch

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 17 09:54:48 UTC 2014

On 03/16/2014 05:32 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 3/16/2014 5:25 PM, Bob Arendt wrote:
>>>
>>> programid should be treated as a completely arbitrary value, and
>>> cannot be expected to have any sensible sequential numbering. It's
>>> only proper use is as a unique ID for use with duplicate matching.
>>
>> OK - then the ordering must be a side-effect of Schedules Direct.
>> The programid seems to be composed of a showid followed by a episode
>> number.  I understand that this convention might not be universal.
>>
>> What would be nice is if UPNP could configure the secondary sort key(s).
>> Then a user might be able to configure the set-up to use original air
>> date
>> or programid rather than title.  And the config file would carry the
>> choice
>> between S/W updates (currently I pull source, patch, & rebuild).
>
> There are explicit season/episode number fields available for
> recordings, however those are not always going to be populated.

Yes, you should use season/episode numbers, if available, or
originalairdate (as a fallback) rather than programid, and should do so
without any configuration/setting--or, if you feel it must be user
controllable, use the existing "Sort episodes" and "Episode sort
orderings" setting:

Sort episodes
  - Record date
  - Season/Episode
  - Original air date
  - Program ID
Selects how to sort a show's episodes

and

Episode sort orderings
  - Sort all sub-titles/multi-titles Ascending
  - Sort all sub-titles/multi-titles Descending
  - Sort sub-titles Descending, multi-titles Ascending
  - Sort sub-titles Ascending, multi-titles Descending
Selects how to sort show episodes. Sub-titles refers to the episodes
listed under a specific show title. Multi-title refers to sections (e.g.
"All Programs") which list multiple titles. Sections in parentheses are
not affected.

Mike