[mythtv] Fwd: MYTHTV -> GPL Violation (someone violating Mythtv GPL License)

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 01:38:57 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 1:02 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 11 June 2014 19:40, Warpme <warpme at o2.pl> wrote:
>> if community believes it is unacceptable to provide binaries and not providing sources during next month or two - then I will fully understand this and I'm ready to withdrawal binaries from minimyth2 site.
>
> I believe so, and that would be the solution

Actually, per the "rules" (at least in the US, I know no
lawyers familiar with Polish copyright law), the release
of the binaries, now that they are "out there", requires
making the source available.  Withdrawing future
download of the binaries is not the solution (nor can
it be)(*).

Note that there is no requirement to provide the
tool chain, nor magic incantations needed to build
from the source, although that is usually provided(**),
it is not required.

Also note that it is not required to provide the
source for "free" (a nominal charge to provide the
source to cover real expenses, such as shipping
a CD is allowed), although, that too, is customary
(especially these days when most distribution is
electronic).

Bottom line, just do the right thing, and provide
the sources.  Everyone wins.

Gary

(*) There is a special exception where the work
product was never intended to be distributed, and
an unauthorized release occurred (see the HP
touchpad android work product).  Per the post, this
distribution was intentional, so no exception of
unauthorized release of work product is available.

(**) A major enterprise linux vendor choose (for
competitive reasons) to not make it easy to build
from their sources.  But they provided the sources
(and made the other enterprise linux vendor have
to invest some additional resources in order to
"leverage" their efforts).