[mythtv] Fwd: MYTHTV -> GPL Violation (someone violating Mythtv GPL License)

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Wed Jun 11 10:01:16 UTC 2014

On 11/06/14 10:40, Warpme wrote:
>> Jean-Yves Avenard replied later that day:
>>> there's never any excuses for GPL violations, unless you have are
>>> copyright holder and can change the license of your own work.
>> In my experience in doing GPL enforcement work on a regular basis for 20
>> years, most GPL violations are in fact misunderstandings, as Stuart
>> points out, and are best resolved privately.  I've written a number of
>> blog posts on this subject.  This one from November 2009 might be the
>> most relevant to the situation at hand:
>> http://ebb.org/bkuhn/blog/2009/11/08/gpl-enforcement.html
>>
>> The advice from Stuart above are, in fact, two of my main bullet points
>> therein. :)
>>   Sincerely,
> Bradley, Stuart,
>
> I really appreciate Your attitude to current situation.
>
> I'm really glad that we have here persons which want to first discover
> situation, understand my motivations for temporarily not providing
> minimyth2 sources - and only after this finally make judgments &
> eventually taking enforcement.
>
> Let me explain shortly my position on problem.
>
> Source code is visit card of author. While I'm not software developer
> by profession - I still want to maintain reputation of somebody who
> tries do things correctly, elegant and with high quality.
> Publishing my work also means taking responsibility for maintaining it.
> Even if code will be published as unsupported - replaying remainders
> about this, answering questions, etc creates extra burden for me and
> my current situation+priorities and nor ready for this.
>
> Current minimyth2 sources:
> -due issues with some upstreams cross-compile errors -  are not
> compiling without manual interventions (and some of them are danger
> for host os)
> -in many places code is not rewritten from POC code to production code
> -documentation isn't finished and not fully synced with current code.
> Above arguments directed me to decision about delay with publishing
> sources.
> Nevertheless, I want to underline: I'm fully aware about potential GPL
> violation and I HAVE plans to publish sources.
>
> In above context we can consider publishing of minimyth2 binaries as
> premature move.
> I do this as I want to gather feedback about errors, see demand,
> collect new features requests.
>
> If community believes it is unacceptable to provide binaries and not
> providing sources during next month or two - then I will fully
> understand this and I'm ready to withdrawal binaries from minimyth2 site.
>
> Pls let me know what You think
>
> br
>
> BTW: One again thx for way how you are approaching this!

I don't understand how any of this stops you making the source code
available even if you put a big disclaimer saying if you try to compile
this it may burn your house down :)

It may be to your advantage as I understand this all started because
someone wanted to help you fix a bug in minimyth2 but couldn't because
the source code wasn't available.

Paul H.