[mythtv] Mariadb 5.5

David Beveridge dave at bevhost.com
Tue Jul 29 00:10:25 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 11:23 PM, Stuart Morgan <stuart at tase.co.uk> wrote:

> On Monday 28 Jul 2014 08:48:21 Craig Treleaven wrote:
> > Were there any special configuration steps needed to make Myth work?
> > (Engines to enable or disable or some such?)
>
> Not for me, but it all depends on your distro and what 'helpful' changes
> they
> make to the default configuration.
>
> MythTV still uses MyISAM and InnoDB. Mostly MyISAM currently, although we
> want
> to move to InnoDB for stability and it's other useful features.

My MythBuntu machine has 4 DVB tuners set to 5 streams each.
I was having performance problems with my database a few years ago and I
changed all the tables to InnoDB.
I also added this to /etc/mysql/my.cnf, (depends a bit on how much RAM you
have)
*innodb_buffer_pool_size = 500M*

My /var/lib/mysql/ibdata1 is 874MB now so 500M means that a good deal of
the database can be cached in RAM.
I have not had any performance issues since.  Most of the space is used by
recordedseek table with now has over 7 million rows. It might be worth my
while to turn on the slow query log again and see if I'm getting any hits.

I am not aware of any issues associated with using InnoDB across the board.

I use MariaDB at work and we have servers there which have much larger
innodb_buffer_pool_size.
The work servers are used for high demand web serving and radius.
Even though the Mythbuntu has MySQL, not MariaDB, I don't expect there
would be any issues changing over.

Having said that, the urgency for moving from MySQL to MariaDB has become
less since Oracle has finally started to accept patches and produce some
new releases.

dave