[mythtv] code.mythtv.org down?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 14:56:27 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Stuart Auchterlonie
<stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote:
> Nope, our master zone is fine.
>
> osuosl just have, *ahem* an odd way of doing things.

* Do you mean like no TCP support for DNS queries?
* Do you mean like no IPv6 for servers (let alone for
  their own DNS servers(*))?
* Do you mean like no DNSSEC support?
* Do you mean like having two of their three DNS
  servers on the same subnet (and likely same router)

But one cannot look at "free" colo services
and be too critical.

> like merging the zone they had, with the zone i'm sending
> them. On second thoughts it's just plain wrong......

What, you do not like two of everything (CNAMEs,
A records, duplicated NS records)?  I suppose
one can think of it as redundancy?

> if it were me, i'd just be repointing the authoritive NS
> at a new (hidden) master and be done with it.

Yes, there are many "best practices" out
there, and running DNS is not that hard, but
from my observation (i.e. fixing others brokenness),
most follow a practice that sort of works most
of the time.

I am not sure I would have ever been considered
a true DNS geek (I never memorized RFC 1034
and its predecessors like some did), but I played
one in some orgs that needed a bit of an up-learning.

Gary

(*) Yes, to deal with broken resolvers, you need
to have at least two (geographically diverse)
dns servers be IPv4 only, but....