[mythtv] Playback hickup with in progress recording when it closes

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 14:09:23 UTC 2014

On 5 July 2014 20:54, Angela <angela.schmid at wolke7.net> wrote:
> Watching an in-progress recording shows a 1 to sometimes up to 3 seconds
> hickup when the recording closes.

this is a different issue...

1 to 3s is *much* better than it used to be, it used to lock for over
10s before, sometimes even exiting back to the main menu

one of the main reason is that the backend writes the new recording
only once it has a complete lock and a reference frame. Once it has
found a reference frame, it starts writing to the disk, but it does so
only after finding a 2nd reference frame as the data between the time
the first lock was found and you start writing is lost.

It's a long standing issue.

in the mean time, the frontend has exhausted data and is waiting.

> Another issue I see, is when a just finished in-progress recording (in the
> same minute it closed) is played, the delay is between 10-20 seconds.

what delay?
you mean startup delay?

I've never seen that.
On the other hand, before 0.27.1, if the recording ever stopped during
the in-progress recording, or if you reached the end, it would abort
completely and go back to the main menu.

BTW, all of this works much better if you are streaming from the
backend rather than reading directly from the disk or mounted
partition

> This is since 0.27.1. Tested on 0.27.2. Should I test on master if I can
> reproduce it here?

it would be the same on master. 0.27.1 contains all the code
backported from master