[mythtv] MythTV Forums

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Feb 10 15:05:42 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 09:47 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 02:55:11PM -0500, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> > Well, sure, but web forums combine all the disadvantages of mailing lists
> > with all of the disadvantages of Usenet -- with, 30 years of experience
> > suggests to me, no compensating advantages at *all*, much less ones which
> > outweigh the disadvantages.
> >
> > But I don't run the list, and I wasn't asked.  Owel.
>
> Yes web forums have no positive features at all.

+1 on that.

They have all sorts of negative features but nothing redeeming.  I could
list the dozens of reasons that forums suck, but I'd probably be
preaching to the choir.  I'd like somebody to give me just one redeeming
feature of forums over mailing lists/newsgroups?

> Some people seem to
> think they are useful for some reason.

Indeed.  I'd love to know why those people think that.  I suspect anyone
who does is just ignorant and doesn't know any better.

I suspect the driving factor in the creation of most forums is to
generate "page hits" and then to try to turn that into some kind of
revenue.  Not that I am implying that's what's going on here.  I was
just making a general statement.

I wonder if whoever is driving the mythtv community forums wants to
explain why setting up forums is a good idea.  Just curious, though.
Because I really don't see how/why it's a good thing.

TBH, I couldn't really care less.  Maybe the forums will siphon off a
lot of the OT "help my Linux system (which just happens to run Mythtv)
is broken" fluff and return this mailing list to being just about
Mythtv.  Not likely, but a boy can dream.  :-)

Cheers,
b.