[mythtv] Improving closed captions/subtitles

Gregorio Gervasio, Jr. gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 22:29:44 UTC 2014

[...]
> Hi Gregorio,

> I have something for 608 captions that I'm currently testing. I'd like
> to test for your use case and I have some questions about the range of
> zoom values you mention:
> - Do you find you change the zoom value based on the video you're
> viewing, or is it something you set on a per-frontend basis, i.e. set
> it once and then forget it?
> - If it's something you change on a per-video basis, under what
> circumstances do you use 60% and when do you use 70%?
> - If you set it once per frontend, which ones get 60% and which ones get 70% and why?
> - How large is your biggest screen, and what's the zoom factor and
> what's the resolution, e.g. 1280x720 or 1920x1080?
> - Any other factors that might help me avoid a regression in your view?

I just set the zoom numbers once per frontend.  I think the settings for
most of my frontends are:

60% for subtitles
67% for CC608
70% for CC708

This is because DVD/BD subtitles seem to look largest.  I have a few
frontends (eg. on my desktop PC) where the video window is smaller and
(also 4:3 aspect ratio), so I bump up the zoom to ~80%.

--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gregorio.gervasio at gmail.com