[mythtv] Chicken-and-egg problem with mythbackend and Services API

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Tue Apr 22 15:25:50 UTC 2014

On Monday 21 Apr 2014 16:10:31 Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> I've been trying to take advantage of the services API for my grabber,
> but it looks like if you're starting with a brand new system you're
> not going to be able to use the services API to bootstrap the backend
> because it will error out:
>
> 2014-04-21 15:25:11.435588 E  Scheduler: No channel sources defined in
> the database
>
> So although there appears to be a Channel API call for manipulating
> channels, you can't get to it until you've already configured at least
> one using mythtv-setup.
>
> Am I missing something? Is there a way to call mythbackend and have it
> have a less-aggressive startup check?

The short version is that the services API is an incomplete feature,
particularly those parts of it to deal with configuration and setup, in some
cases these are non-functional stubs or they simply don't work as they ought
to.

Now obviously the goal is that you'll be able to configure the backend through
the web server, mythtv-setup and should you so choose a third party app/script
all using the services API but no-one is actively working on that at this
time.

All recent work on the API has been done to support the mythweb replacement,
e.g. the API used on a daily basis rather than the stuff used for one-time/
periodic setup and maintenance.

--
Stuart Morgan