[mythtv] Fwd: [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by jyavenard. v0.28-pre-1024-g9cba5e2

Sam Jacobs samlists at ijacobs.co.uk
Tue Apr 1 09:07:33 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 1:43 AM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca>wrote:

> Few Mac users even look at Myth as setting up an OS X-only system is
> widely reputed to be basically impossible for mortals.  Fewer still will
> choose to go with a linux backend.

Yeah, it's not easy, especially since OS X has no support for tuners.
Unless you have a MythTV supported network tuner (I don't, and aren't aware
of any DVB-*2 ones even existing) you *have* to use a Linux backend. I use
an Acer Aspire L310 running Debian as a slave and my Mac mini running
Mavericks as a master, using the poorly documented ability to have the MBE
boot up the slave when it needs the tuners.

OTOH, EyeTV is the only other option for Mac users.  It's publishers have
> only done trivial maintenance on it for several years...it doesn't even
> support the HDHomerun Prime for USA cable.  But it is pretty easy to set up.

And rock solid, in my experience, even for tuners that aren't on Linux. My
slave backend will start giving me 0 byte recordings after only a couple of
days up, but it's never up that long, thankfully.

After my experiments with virtual machines failed, I did think about using
EyeTV's VLC plugin as a bridge to MythTV's network recording features, but
since Elgato, as you say, don't seem particularly concerned with the
software I decided not to try it, especially since UK EIT data is generally
quite good, and that route would've meant losing it.

Sam

Stuff like the web frontend, including browser-based setup and config,
> could remove/reduce one of the big barriers.  Cool Apple-ecosystem treats
> like AirPlay make it stand out.  Add in a simpler way to install a BE/FE/db
> combo, and ...
>
> Craig

Sam Jacobs on MythTV 0.21, UK Freeview, EIT-only EPG
mythbox: BE+FE, Mythbuntu 8.04, Athlon XP2000+ at 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM, nVidia
GeForce 4MX (proprietary driver)
tuners on mythbox: Nebula DigiTV PCI, Elgato EyeTV for DTT Stick (Hauppauge
Nova-T USB Stick in disguise!)
smbx: FE, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, Macbook Intel Core Duo at 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM