[mythtv] IPTV with an external channel changer

Torbjörn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Sun Oct 13 13:34:04 UTC 2013

> Hi devs,
>
> I'm working with mythtv 0.27 to record from a dreambox via iptv. I can
> get the video stream find (via vlc) but when I add an external channel
> changer (which changes channel via a network request) the iptv source
> no
> longer connects to the stream. I am temporarily using a work around by
> tweaking dtvchannel.cpp and signalmonitor.cpp, but I was wondering if
> this was the intended behaviour or not?
> If so, it does make it difficult to control channel changes when using
> set top box that can stream. I can see that this might make sense with
> an analogue tuner but wondered if we could change it for the iptv
> tuners? I'm happy to do the work for this and submit a ticket and patch
> but it would be good to discuss this with a dev who has a better
> understanding of it that I do.

FYI i made this patch against 0.26:
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11487
to be able to stream channels properly from my dreambox.
It is currently running on my 0.26 backend and works fine.

Unfortunately it seems the iptv part of mythtv have received lots of changes
in 0.27 so this patch no longer works.
I need to take a closer look at how the iptv recorder works in 0.27 and see
what needs doing to make it work again (can't upgrade to 0.27 until I've
fixed this).

Before I made this patch I was also experimenting with channel changer
scripts and vlc but i never got it to work reliably so eventually I gave up
and improved the iptv recorder instead so it could handle transport streams
over http (=what dreambox provides or any other box based on enigma2
provides)

Then all you need is a proper playlist with the service ref urls to the
dreambox.
The nice thing with this is that it works well with the box and box behaves
as it normally does when you record something when mythtv is using it.