[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by stuartm. v0.28-pre-367-gc93076b

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Sun Nov 3 16:45:55 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-03, at 8:46 AM, Stuart Morgan wrote:

> > Just saw that :/   The services/channel thing also stepped on me. Things
> > were quiet for so long and suddenly it’s raining on my parade only.
>
> Any idea how much time you'll need? I'd like to make another db update to translate the old E1S1 format syndicated episode numbers into the season and episode columns for those who have been using xmltv/EIT for several years

Oh, go ahead. I’ve been integrated and running my changes for weeks and anyway my db update is broken out into a separate patch like Karl recommended. Something one of us did, probably me, has hosed mythweb on my system and I have (and will have) zero time to fix it until next week or the patch would be already submitted.

I do have a question for David or dev types in general: right now I’ve got ProgramInfo exposing a method to set the recording input and it’s called by the scheduler in one place and in three places for live tv. The live tv part is yukky but it looks like the live tv code is yukky in general. It occurs to me that I could have ProgramInfo::SetInputID query and save the recording input’s display name as a side effect and that would eliminated the need to sprinkle set calls all over the backend. Problem is ProgramInfo is in libmythbase and CardUtil::GetDisplayName is in libmythtv which depends on libmythbase. I know there was an effort to unravel circular references so I don’t want to go backwards on that.

Easiest thing for me is to duplicate the CardUtil::GetDisplayName query in ProgramInfo::SetInputID but I like to practice DRY as much as possible. Another approach might be to move cardutil.* and mythtvexp.h to an earlier library but I’m not sure if that would cause chaos. Or I could leave things as I have them and expect future coders to take display name assignment into account but that feels like clutter.

What is the preferred approach?

- George