[mythtv] Problem building fixes/0.26 when linking libmythtv with lots of messages like: 'yada1' referenced in section 'yada2' of videosource.o: defined in discarded section 'yada3' of videosource.o

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Jul 11 20:35:04 UTC 2013

On 7/11/2013 4:18 PM, Rick wrote:
> On 09/07/2013 12:59 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> Those kinds of issues typically mean you're trying to link against the
>> wrong source object or library. Is there any reason you're building as
>> opposed to using packages?
>
> Why, all of a sudden, is everyone so concerned about us building from
> source.

If the buildbots (http://code.mythtv.org/buildbot/waterfall) are
building fine, then a user failing to build is typically a user error.
The quickest way to solve the issue is then simply for the user to not
attempt building.

> Instead of waiting for someone else to do it, a sometimes very lengthy
> wait

In this case, the user was using Mythbuntu, meaning the wait on packages
was only going to be until the next daily autobuild.

> Sometimes things go wrong and we learn from fixing them.  We really
> learn when we ask questions and get answers.

That's a perfectly acceptable reason to build from source, but far too
often, users build from source merely because they are unaware packages
are available.  In this case, the user installed 12.04, which comes with
0.25, and likely doesn't know that 0.26 and 0.27 packages are available
from an external repository, configurable through MCC.